On Gen8 servers, HP has replaced SmartStart CDs with a new feature called Intelligent Provisioning. It means, all the tools and software which was available with SmartStart CD is now embedded on a 4GB NAND flash chip which is integrated on the server system board. Intelligent Provisioning (called as I.P) contains all the drivers and tools needed for your Gen8 Server.
So, will my old SmartStart CD still works with HP Gen8 Server? The answer is No; it does not work with your Gen8 Server. You can do everything using HP Intelligent Provisioning. To launch Intelligent Provisioning on your Server, you need to press F10 key while server is booting. To learn more about HP Intelligent Provisioning, please check our article provided below.
Intelligent Provisioning (I.P) allows you to install Operating System, Configure RAID, Setup iLO, Run Diagnostics, collect AHS logs, Update Server firmware and much more. Today, I am talking about a tool called Firmware Update utility, which allows users to update firmware of HP Gen8 server. This utility is part of Intelligent Provisioning, and helps you to download and install firmware updates directly from HP.com or from a pre-configured internal firmware repository. The Firmware Update Utility can automatically find and apply the latest firmware for your HP ProLiant Gen8 server.
In this article, we will discuss about updating HP Gen8 server firmware using Intelligent Provisioning. For your better understanding, I classified entire firmware update procedure to two steps
Steps to Follow:
- Configure Network and Software update settings in I.P
- Launch Firmware update utility from I.P
Step 1: Configure Network and Software update settings in I.P
Although your Gen8 servers are usually shipped with the latest version of firmware, it is possible that firmware might be outdated now. Before you install Operating System on your server, it is recommended to update firmware of your server to the latest. Firmware Update Utility can download firmware from HP.com OR it can contact an internal HTTP/FTP firmware repository (A place in your network where you have saved firmware updates).
If you wish to create an Internal Firmware Repository, please refer the HP Intelligent Provisioning User Guide and follow the steps provided under the section titled “Creating an Intelligent Provisioning update mirror”. You may download the I.P user guide from here.
For the Firmware Update utility to work, you need to configure Intelligent Provisioning settings on your Server. Please ensure that one of the NIC port is connected and can access Internet. You also need to specify whether you wish to download firmware updates from HP.com or from the Internal Firmware Repository.
Now, let us check how to launch Intelligent provisioning and configure it.
1. Turn ON Server and press the F10 key when you see the HP Logo screen.
2. HP Intelligent Provisioning will launch now. Please wait till it launches.
3. At the Intelligent Provisioning window, Click Perform Maintenance.
4. Now you will find a lot of tools listed in Intelligent Provisioning window.
5. Click on Intelligent Provisioning Preferences (Check screenshot).
6. At Initial Network Settings, select the NIC port which is connected.
Note: The NIC port will have a green color indicator if it is connected. In my case, eth2 (NIC port 3) has a cable connected to it (Check screenshot). If you use any Proxy to connect to Internet, please click “Use Proxy” button and enter details of Proxy.
7. Select HP Web site as the System Software Update source.
Note: If you are using internal firmware repository, then select HTTP/FTP option. You also need to enter the URL of the repository here. For more information, please check the user guide.
8. Once you made the changes, click on Previous button.
9. Now you will be back at Intelligent provisioning Screen.
10. Congrats, you have successfully configured I.P now
Step 2: Launch Firmware update utility from I.P
Now, it is time to run the Firmware update utility from Intelligent Provisioning. This utility will contact HP.com and will check for any updated version of firmware. It will also give you an option to choose the firmware update that you wish to install.
Let us see how we do this!
1. From the Intelligent Provisioning screen, Click Firmware Update.
2. Firmware update utility will contact HP.com and will retrieve data. Please be patient!
3. Click More to see detailed view.
4. Check the screenshot provided below, it is still retrieving data.
5. Now you will see a screen which lists all updates applicable to your server.
6. Select the firmware you want to update. I select HP Smart Array controller firmware here.
7. Click Install button to proceed.
8. At Review Changes page, click on Continue button.
9. You will receive a warning window, Click Continue again!
10. Please wait while firmware updates are installed.
11. Once firmware is installed, you will receive a message stating to reboot server.
Note: HP Smart Update manager may check health of the hardware now. This process will not take much time. Once the hardware check is finished, you may restart the server.
12. Congrats!!! Reboot server for the changes to take effect
It is not necessary to follow above said steps to update firmware on your Gen8 server. You can use HP Service pack to install firmware & drivers on your HP Proliant Gen8 server. Thank you for reading my blog and leave a comment if I was helpful
You May Also Like: