HP has done excellent job by releasing HP Proliant Generation 8 (Called as Gen8) Servers. I got a chance to work with these latest Gen8 Servers and I just love it the way it works. On Gen8 Servers, HP has done a lot of innovation like Intelligent Provisioning, iLO4 Management Engine, Active Health System, Agentless management, FlexibleLOM and SmartStorage etc. As there are lot changes happened at the architecture level of Gen8 Server, you may find few changes in the way you configure Gen8 Servers in your production environment.
One of the changes happened with HP Gen8 Server is, there is no more HP SmartStart CD. Instead, HP has installed the same features, tools and ProLiant Support Pack (PSP) in a NAND flash which is integrated on the System board. Moreover, older HP SmartStart CD will not work on your Gen8 Servers. So, if you are using an HP Gen8 Server, you do not need to carry any more CDs and drivers!!
The embedded Smartstart and Proliant support pack feature is collectively called as HP Intelligent Provisioning. You can configure everything Out of the box on your HP ProLiant Gen8 Server by using HP Intelligent Provisioning. If you would like to learn more about HP Intelligent Provisioning, you may visit this HP link.
In this article, I will explain how to launch HP Array Configuration Utility (ACU) on your HP Gen8 Servers. Older HP Proliant servers (G7 series and below) were shipped with HP SmartStart CD. Using HP SmartStart CD, I could boot the sever and launch Array Configuration Utility (ACU). As the Gen8 Server does not use HP SmartStart CD, we have to follow different method to open ACU on Gen8 Servers.
If you are using HP Proliant G7 or below series Servers and like to know how to open ACU and configure RAID on your Server, then please refer my guide about HP ACU. I hope it helps.
For Proliant Gen8 Servers, ACU tool is already stored in the embedded NAND flash partition (HP Intelligent Provisioning). There are different ways to open HP ACU but I am explaining the easiest method here. To open ACU on your Gen8 Server, you need to press the F5 key at the server POST. When you press the F5 key, server will boot to HP Intelligent Provisioning and will launch ACU. If HP Intelligent Provisioning is corrupted or does not work, then you will not be able to launch HP Array Configuration Utility (ACU) on your HP Gen8 Server.
How to open Array Configuration utility on HP Proliant Gen8 Servers:
Here, I am going to explain how to launch Array Configuration Utility on HP Proliant Gen8 Servers with the help of screenshots.
1. Turn ON Server and Press F5 key when the Array Configuration Utility prompt is displayed.2. Server will load HP Intelligent Provisioning, please wait till it loads.3. Once Intelligent Provision Loads, you will find below provided screen.
4. You will receive message stating “HP Intelligent Provision launched in maintenance mode”.
5. Do not click on any Icons, please wait till Array Configuration Utility Launches
6. HP Array Configuration Utility will open now. Please check below provided screenshot.
7. Select HP Smart Array Controller from the list (Check below provided screenshot).
8. Here, I have selected HP P420i Smart Array Controller.
9. The image below shows you how an HP Array Configuration Utility window looks like.
10. Now you can start Creating Array and Logical drives in ACU.
If you would like to know how to use HP ACU to create Array, Logical drives, Spare management, RAID migration, Split Arrays, Global spare management, BBWC/FBWC identification, then refer my Guides provided below.
- Guide: How to migrate RAID on your HP Server
- Guide: Configure Online Spare HDD using HP ACU
- Guide: Configure Global Spare Hard Drive using HP ACU
- Guide: How to find HP Hard drive Backplane Firmware Version
- Guide: Order Free HP Smart Array Advanced Pack 60 days Evaluation License
- Guide: How to find Array Accelerator and Battery (BBWC/FBWC) installed on your Server?
There is no major changes happened in the way you configure Array, Logical drives, Spare HDD, RAID Migration, Global Spare management in ACU. Once you open ACU, the steps are almost same like HP Proliant G7 Servers (or below). Thank you
You May Also Like: