HP replaced SmartStart CDs in latest Gen8 servers. HP has embedded SmartStart in a Flash memory of the server System board. This new feature is called as HP Intelligent Provisioning. Older HP SmartStart CDs are not compatible with Gen8 server and if you want to install OS or access any HP tools, then you need to use the HP Intelligent provisioning. Intelligent Provisioning includes all the the tools available with HP SmartStart CD plus more features.
HP Intelligent Provisioning can be accessed by pressing F10 key at the server boot. When you press the F10 key, the server will boot from the embedded Flash chip which contains all the tools. Intelligent Provisioning allows you to perform assisted installation Windows, Red hat Linux, Suse Linux, VMware ESX and ESXi on HP Gen8 Servers. HP Intelligent Provisioning also contains Array Configuration utility, Lights-out configuration Utility, System Erase, Insight Diagnostics etc.
Now comes the questions, can I reinstall HP Intelligent Provisioning in my Gen8 server? How do I update if a latest version of HP Intelligent Provisioning is released by HP. What do I do, if HP Intelligent Provisioning is corrupted. So, here in this article, I will explain how to reinstall or update HP Intelligent Provisioning on your Gen8 Server.
Steps to re-install/update Intelligent Provisioning:
- Download Intelligent Provisioning Recovery Media from HP.com
- Boot the server from the Intelligent Provisioning recovery media and re-install/update it.
Let us go ahead and check how to upgrade or re-install Intelligent Provisioning. The entire procedure is explained in detail. Please follow the steps carefully. If you come across any issues, please leave a comment on this page
Download Intelligent Provisioning Recovery Media from HP.com
1. Go to HP driver & download page of your HP Gen8 Server.
2. Select an Operating System (Example: Windows 2008 R2)
3. Scroll down and click on “HP Intelligent Provisioning recovery media” link as shown below.
4. Click on Download button. It will take you below provided screen.
5. Click Download button to download the HP Intelligent Provisioning recovery media.
Note: Once you download HP Intelligent Provisioning recovery media file from HP.com, it will be a .ZIP file. Please extract the .ZIP file to a folder and you will find an ISO file. Please use this ISO file to boot the server by using iLO or burn the ISO file to a DVD media and boot the server from DVD.
Boot the server from the Intelligent Provisioning recovery media
To re-install or upgrade HP Intelligent Provisioning on your Gen8 server, you need to boot the server from the HP Intelligent Provisioning recovery media. This is an offline method. You may use iLO Virtual media to mount the ISO or burn the HP Intelligent Provisioning recovery media ISO to a DVD and boot the server from it. Before you start performing below provided steps ensure that HP Intelligent Provisioning recovery media is mounted through iLO Virtual Media or burn the HP Intelligent Provisioning recovery media ISO file to a DVD media and place it in the CD/DVD drive of your HP Gen8 Server.
1. Turn ON your HP Gen8 Server.
2. During Server POST, please press F11 key to display Boot Menu.
3. Now you will be presented with Boot Menu as shown below.
4. Press 1 on keyboard to boot from the CD\DVD (iLO Virtual Media or DVD drive)
5. Server will boot from HP Intelligent Provisioning recovery media. Please wait
6. Now select Interactive method to update/reinstall Intelligent Provisioning.
7. Your HP Gen8 server will continue booting from the HP Intelligent Provisioning recovery media.
8. At below said screen, click on “Reinstall Intelligent Provisioning” button,
9. Now it will start flashing Intelligent Provisioning. Please wait until process is complete
10. HP Intelligent Provisioning re-installation/upgrade is complete (See below provided screenshot)
11. Congratulation. You have successfully reinstalled HP Intelligent Provisioning on your Gen8 Server.
ProLiant Gen8 SL servers does not support OS installation by using Intelligent Provisioning. You have to manually install Operating system in your SL series Gen8 Servers.
You May Also Like: