Simple Management Network Protocol (SNMP) is a network management protocol which adds monitoring capabilities in IP Networks. SNMP service is available for Windows 2008 Operating System but it is not installed by default. In this article, we will learn how to install SNMP Service manually in Windows 2008 Operating System.
Before we install SNMP, let me tell some basic information about SNMP and where it is used. SNMP can be configured to monitor Network devices and its performance. You can also use SNMP to detect Network faults. If you look at the architecture of SNMP, you can find that it consists of SNMP Management System and SNMP agent.
HP System Insight Manager (SIM) and HP System Management Homepage (SMH) are examples of SNMP Management System. HP Insight Management Agent is an example of SNMP Agent which we install and use on HP Proliant or Blade Servers. SNMP Agent collects server related management data and keeps with it. If SNMP Management System query for management data, SNMP Agent will provide the information to SNMP Management System.
In the case of Windows, you can configure SNMP traps and security settings in SNMP Services window (Services.msc). SNMP service is available in Microsoft Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 Operating System, but it is not installed or enabled by default. However, we can manually install it. If you have a Windows 2003 OS installed on your server, you may check below provided guide more information.
In this article, let us look how to install SNMP Service in Microsoft Windows 2008 Operating System. Please follow step-by-step instructions provided below to install SNMP on your Windows 2008 based HP server.
How to install SNMP Service in Windows 2008 OS:
1. Login to your Windows 2008 based Server.
2. Click Start and open Control Panel.
3. Once you open Control Panel, click on Programs and Features.
4. Now click on Turn Windows Features On or Off as shown below.
4. Now Server Manager application will be open (See below).
5. Click on Features (in the left pane of window).
6. Click on Add Features as shown below.
7. Now Add Features Wizard will open as shown below.
8. Select SNMP Services and click Next button.
9. SNMP will be installed now (No Windows 2008 OS CD required).
10. SNMP Installation will be completed now.
Once SNMP is installed on your Windows 2008 based Server, you can check the status of the SNMP Service in Services window (Services.msc). You may also configure SNMP from the same Services Window.
You May Also Like: