HP survey report captures all the information about installed hardware. It captures information such as server model, serial number, Memory spare part numbers, Power supply status, Fans, HDDs, PCI devices, Temperature reading, NICs etc. Please note that when you generate the survey report, it is not doing hardware test any hardware components, rather it is capturing the status of the hardware components.
When you come across issues with your HP server, you may need to generate the survey report of your server. You may call this report as Advanced Survey report, HP Insight Diagnostics report etc. This report is very helpful when you troubleshoot hardware related issues of your server.
In the case of HP Proliant G7 and below series servers, we were using HP SmartStart CD to boot the server and generate this survey report. As HP Gen8 server does not use SmartStart CDs anymore, the method to generate Survey report is slightly different. First, we have to launch HP Intelligent Provisioning and then open HP Insight Diagnostics to generate HP Survey report on Gen8 Server.
If you are using HP G7 or below series serve and need to generate Survey report, then please check my detailed guide provided below. It will explain how to generate the survey report offline using HP SmartStart CD.
Also if you are using older 100 series Proliant DL\ML Servers, then you need to use HP EasySetup CD to generate the Survey report. The steps to generate the Survey report in 100 series server is explained in detail at below provided link.
Please note that you can generate the survey report while the server OS is up and running. You need to launch HP Insight Diagnostics Online edition to generate this report from OS. HP Insight Diagnostics Online is available for free download from HP.com. However, in this document I am explaining only about Offline method. If you are generating report while server is booted to the OS, then scroll down the page and start the procedure from steps 7.
How to generate Survey report on Gen8 Server:
1. Turn ON the server.
2. Once HP Logo screen is shown, press F10 key to launch Intelligent Provisioning.
3. HP Intelligent provisioning will load on your server.
4. Click on Perform Maintenance option from Intelligent provisioning.
5. Now you may find a lot of utilities listed in Intelligent provisioning window.
6. Open Insight Diagnostics from this screen.
7. Please wait while HP Insight Diagnostics loads on your server.
8. Once it finishes loading, the screen will look like image provided below.
9. To generate report, change View level to Advanced.
10. Then change Categories to All.
Note: If you are accessing the server from remote location, then you can make use of Virtual media feature of iLO. First you need to connect a USB key to your computer, then launch iLO of your Gen8 Server from the same computer.
From iLO, launch Remote Console, click Virtual Media, then select Floppy/USB key and select the drive letter of the USB key connected (In my case, it is D: drive).
11. Click Save button to save the report to a USB key locally connected to the server.
12. Select Save Entire Survey and click OK
13. Click Save button again.
14. You will receive a confirmation message as shown below.
15. Congrats, you have successfully generated Survey report of your Gen8 Server.
When compared with Survey report, HP Active Health System (AHS) report captures more information about your server. So if an HP technician request for AHS report, ensure that you share the AHS report of your Gen8 server with them.
You May Also Like: