HP Intelligent Provisioning replaces the software and tools that came on CDs (HP SmartStart CDs) in previous generations (G7 series and below) of HP ProLiant servers. HP has installed all the software, tools and drivers on on a Flash chip (NAND storage) which is embedded on the system board of HP Proliant Gen8 servers and Gen8 blade servers.
HP Intelligent Provisioning is one of the major feature introduced in HP Generation 8 (Called as Gen8) Server. Intelligent Provisioning contains all the features of HP SmatStart CD, Utilities and all required drivers (Proliant Support Pack) of the Server.
Guess what? You do not need any more CDs on your HP Gen8 Servers because all the required tools and drivers for your server is already available on a FLASH chip which is embedded on the Server System board. So, instead of using HP SmartStart CDs, you have to use HP Intelligent Provisioning on your HP gen8 Servers to install the Operating System. HP Intelligent Provisioning also contains Array Configuration Utility, HP Lights Out Configuration Utility, Insight Diagnostics, System Erase utility etc.
To launch HP Intelligent Provisioning, you have to press the F10 key at Server POST. HP Intelligent Provisioning is accessible only at the Server POST by pressing F10 key. When you press the F10 key at server POST, it will load HP Intelligent Provisioning stored in the Flash chip.
In this article, I will discuss how to Enable or Disable HP Intelligent Provisioning on your Gen8 Server. By default, HP Intelligent Provisioning is enabled on all Gen8 Servers but users may disable it if they do not want to use it. You have to use Server RBSU (BIOS of Server) to enable or disable HP Intelligent Provisioning. Disabling F10 Prompt at Server POST will not erase the contents of Flash chip embedded on System board, instead it just hide the F10 Prompt.
How to Enable or Disable Intelligent Provisioning:
1. Turn ON the Server and wait till Boot Logo appears on screen.
2. Press the F9 key to access the RBSU (BIOS) of the Server.
3. It will launch RBSU (ROM-Based Setup Utility) on your Gen8 Server.
4. The image below shows you how RBSU window looks like.
5. Select Server Security option from the Menu.
6. Scroll down to Intelligent Provisioning (F10 Prompt) settings.
7. Press the Enter key on keyboard.
8. Now you will get an option to Enable or Disable Intelligent Provisioning.
9. Select the option Enabled or Disabled as per your choice.
10. Now keep pressing Esc key to go back to RBSU main screen.
11. Press F10 key to Exit RBSU.
12. Congrats, you have successfully Enabled or Disabled HP Intelligent Provisioning.
Users may disable HP Intelligent Provisioning on their Gen8 servers so that no one will press F10 key at Server POST and access the tools on their Gen8 Servers. I hope you like my blog, please leave your comments or follow our Facebook/Google fan page.
You May Also Like: